Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Think I Can Safely Say I've Eaten Too Much Kimchi

Recently at an STI presentation a 7th grader asked me when we know we’re going through puberty. That’s a tough question to answer, especially if you’re me and awkward and bumbling and not quick on your feet. I gave him some half-assed answer about how our hormones usually give us signals, like how we’re suddenly interested in people sexually, or get moody more often and can’t always figure out why. So the next day I was out lightly jogging, and I thought about his question again, and vividly remembered when I realized I was going through puberty. One June night in sixth grade, I guess I either dreamed it or I don’t know just thought of it somehow, but I heard in my head the song “One More Try” by Timmy T. (oh yes, had to Google that one*) and woke up SOBBING. S-O-B-B-I-N-G. The lyrics just broke my heart and I sobbed from about 3am through my alarm clock. Oh jes, that is puberty. Unless we’re counting the sex dream I had in third grade about scissoring Yosmendy in my powder room. Third. Grade. Sigh.
*Here is Timmy T c. 1991 and O M G thank me later. I love the Star Search-esque background, the obvious superior dancing skills of Backup Dancer on Left, Timmy’s extreme need for Clean & Clear’s Oil Absorbing Strips, his sharp enunciation…it’s just classic. TRY not to cry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPLZIdetFSc

No comments:

Post a Comment