Tuesday, May 26, 2009

People I Hate: Poor Pronouncers

Being an elitist language snob, I pride myself on near-perfect pronunciation. I even have to hold back sometimes (it's technically pronounced "fort," not "for-tay," but saying the correct version makes you sound like a retard) to get people to like me more. Want me to like you? Stay the F away from these basic faux-pas!

1. It's escape, not ek-scape. Grr.
2. Similarly, is there an X anywhere in 'espresso,' the coffee delight? No?! Ya sure? Okay then don't call it 'expresso,' even if you are just that fast and streamlined! I'm talking to YOU, McDonald's radio commercial...
3. If you 'ax' me a question, I will hunt YOU down with an ax. Just sayin'.
4. Just as there's no I in team, there is NO FUCKING B in 'supposedly.'
5. This one I'm not totally sure about. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it's okay to say "adVERtisement" instead of "ADvertisement." But let's think about it, friends. Do you call the abbreviated version an ad, or a vert? Game, set, match...

That's all I can think of right now. Any suggestions?! Let's be pronunciation snobs together.

3 comments:

  1. "Conversate" anyone who uses this aweful 'you sound unintelligent when you use this word" word when they are conversing with me, I can no longer focus on the topic of the conversation and should probably end our chat immediately, especially if I have known you for a while. In that one single sentance that is usually the most irrelevent, usually most you proceed to tell me who you conversated with, or who is conversating; every idea I ever had of you being somewhat intelligent goes right out the window, never to return again. Shame on you Websters for allowing all of the incorrect grammer users of the world to be justified.

    thankyou and goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *however, I also look unintelligent by the way I have incorrectly spelled awful. touche

    ReplyDelete