Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Refried Beans- Breakfast of Champions

Mmm hmm. You read correctly. Not only do they provide a week’s worth of protein and fiber, they travel well. I may be going out on a limb here, but the fat free ones? Healthy Mexican food. It DOES exist. And now my whole office smells like Taco Bell, so there.

It all happened last night. The MarkoRoni household was ‘suffering’ from a backlog of food. Saturday’s refried beans and chili remained in the fridge (this is after drunk munchies, then eating them as hangover food the next day). Sunday’s steak dinner was so immense (that’s what happens when you buy a family pack for two people…) we had a whole steak and a half left over. Joe decided to play frugal soccer mom and buy the romaine from the “wet bar,” as I call it, i.e. the legit vegetables that are cheaper but you have to wash yourself and come in humongor portions and you always run the risk of getting soaked by the unannounced ‘mists’ of torrential downpours. I prefer the pre-washed bagged spinach, then complaining to anyone who will listen when there are dead bugs in it. So yes, we’re drowning in romaine.

Anyway, back to the scene. As I make him coffee in my desperate attempts to keep him up past 8:30, Joe eyes me from the couch and says, “So I was thinking.  How about we don’t cook this week until we finish off the leftovers?”

It’s like the reluctant husband saying to his 43-year-old long-suffering wife, “I’m finally ready to have kids.” Like the paranoid mom saying, “Ok, sweetie, you can go to college across the country.” Like Ryan Seacrest telling me “YOU are the next American Idol!!!’

Because yes, in those few words he was telling me that we’re being more resourceful and less wasteful. That we will be saving money and time. And essentially, we’re having theeeeeme week! I do love a good theme. Even if it’s a little bacteria laden. (I just don’t trust Tupperware). Even more than Jessica loving my story for June, THAT is what got me out of my Monday blahs and blues. Because I'm obsessed with time and money savers. Because I love using things until they're done before opening something else (flip in your text books to the Wheat Thins incident of early April 2009). And because my very astute boyfriend clearly knows me well. No better gift than that.

I think the saddest part of this post, not my excitement over refried beans for breakfast and the norms I’m breaking because I sometimes forget I have control over my own life (“Fuck you, cereal, I do what I WANT!”), not the exhilaration over Joe finally coming around and seeing that leftovers do have their time and place, and it’s not 8 days from now, but the fact that I totally forgot who hosts American Idol, almost said Simon, then remembered it’s Ryan but totally blanked on his last name and had to google “Who hosts E! News???” to figure it out. I am a terrible comer-of-age-in-the-early-2000ser.

Judge me as you wish. Tonight I’ll be enjoying a steak salad so I win.

1 comment:

  1. why didn't you google "who hosts american idol"?

    ReplyDelete